Thursday, May 27, 2010

A little bit of INSPIRATION after a lot of PERSPIRATION

Scott and I have been trying to decide where we are moving.  I have two experiences that I want to share that have helped us with our choice.
When I lived in Ohio I worked in a program called Multisystemic Family Therapy (MST).  After leaving that job I realized how passionate I was about the program, and what it helps families accomplish.  Knowing we had to decide where we were going to move, I decided to apply for a MST supervisor position in Carlsbad, NM.  I was offered the position..we were then faced with whether moving to NM was a good choice for us.  Scott felt that his chances of getting a job were small, as it is a small city and thought it wasn't the best place for us.  I felt that at least one of us would have a job...as opposed to moving to a spot where neither of us had work.  Long story short, I turned down that job.
I was bitter and angry and was mad that I had to turn down my dream job, as it would have been a starting off point as a supervisor.  Because of my anger, I had been praying for comfort.  Driving to work one morning I had the strong impression that it was okay that we weren't going to move to Carlsbad.  More importantly I realized that if we had moved to Carlsbad I would have focused so much on work that I would not have made other things a priority...like starting a family.
I have always been VERY nervous to be a mom.  It just isn't something that I yearn for or have ever really wanted to do. It was in that quiet moment in my car that I realized that I need to make sure that I make time for OTHER important things.  That doesn't mean we will have kids in the near future, but I realized that I need to make sure that having kids is an option..and more importantly I make it a priority.
Around that same time, Scott also had a bit of inspiration in which he had the impression that we need to be closer to my family.  My mom and dad don't have the best of health.  During a recent health struggle of my mom's, I was struggling with the fact that I wasn't home to be more helpful.  And my brother (bless his soul) doesn't always seek out opportunities to help my parents out.  I was feeling guilty and mad at the situation.  Scott said he felt we needed to be closer to my family so I can take advantage of my parent's "good" (or what's left of it) health before it gets to a point in which all I remember is them completely debilitated.
I am so grateful for the gospel and the quiet moment's of inspiration that comes to us when we need it the most.  I am thankful for the knowledge of our Savior's love for each of us.  I know he is aware of each of our problems, successes and desires of our hearts.
So, We are moving to LAS VEGAS where neither of us have jobs...Yes, I am  terrified...and yes, we have had our ups and downs with this decision, but I know we will be taken care of.  I am grateful for Scott's strength and amidst the confusion, we have come to learn how to communicate better.  Thank you Scott, I LOVE you!!!

2 comments:

  1. you have no idea how excited I am that you guys will be so close. And you guys are both so awesome. I'm sure you'll find jobs. And if nothing else, i'm sure they are in need of show girls in Las Vegas. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very proud of both of you!! That's what marriage is all about. Give, take, some anger, lots of joy, fun and happiness!

    ReplyDelete